The Greater Akron LGBTQ+ Community Needs Assessment believes that, as an ally, your support is crucial to improving the day-to-day lives of our local LGBTQ+ community. That's why we also took special care in engaging allies to determine what they need to be the best ally they can be. The community recommendations derived from our findings overwhelmingly show you need access to clear and specific information, training, and educational materials.
- Provide access to up-to-date information on current LGBTQ+ issues.
- Provide training and educational materials to allies that help stand up for LGBTQ+ people in different spaces (e.g. heteronormative, public restrooms, educational spaces, etc.)
- Recognize that just like LGBTQ+ identity, allyship is a spectrum, and not all allies agree or understand in-depth issues of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Provide support to allies who are adjusting to learning a family member, friend, or another important person in their life identifies as LGBTQ+.
- Provide low-risk opportunities to practice and use pronouns comfortably.
- Provide support, training, education, and information to allies to know how to stand up to anti-LGBTQ+ discussions and LGBTQ+ 'jokes'.
- Encourage and provide the support and information for allies to call or write local, state, or federal officials supporting LGBTQ+ issues.
- Provide clear and specific information to allies on what they can do to support the community.
Refer to the resources on this page and learn more about the LGBTQ+ community. Become the best ally you can be for the LGBTQ+ community members in your life!